Wednesday, May 04, 2011

How can I serve you?

In college I wanted to start a ministry called "How can i serve you?" where i would simply go around and be available to be a helping hand whenever someone needed. To ask the question "How could i be a help to you today?" without nothing better to do than be by their side as a helping hand.
Jesus, consistently says that the servant is truly the greatest:
Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant.

and that serving is a part of God's long term plan or us and Him.
It will be good for those servants whose master finds them watching when he comes. Truly I tell you, he will dress himself to serve, will have them recline at the table and will come and wait on them.

We need to practice becoming joyful servants for eternity. Last week I was asking myself repeatedly, How can i serve the people and other leaders I am leading at church at this moment? This chorus came to me as I was reflecting on Jesus washing Peter's feet just before his crucifixion:

As we come together
Lord, please wash my feet
As we come together
show me what this means

I want Christ to serve me and wash my feet not because i want to demand anything from Him or seem higher but because i want Jesus to truly be my Teacher- even on how to serve.

and I really want to ponder and ask the question: What does it mean for me to minimize the "I wants" and to put to the forefront the God wants and other people's needs?

No comments: